Pickled onions are the perfect addition to any sandwich, salad, or charcuterie board. Not only do they add a delicious tangy flavor, but they also offer a variety of health benefits.
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons agave
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
1. Pack the onions into a glass mason jar
2. In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, agave, salt, and pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat, then carefully pour the mixture into the jar over the onions
3. Use a spatula to press the onions down into the vinegar and pop any air bubbles in the jar. Let the pickled onions cool to room temperature and thats it!