Vegan French Toast
Whoever says vegan food doesn’t slap, I’ma need you to eat this french toast because BABAY! This will probably slap some sense into you.
My first experience making french toast was in 13 years old in home ec class. We learned how to make the basics like eggs and rice and french toast. Making french toast was definitely my favorite dish to make so much so that when I went to my mom’s house over the weekend, that’s all I did. This was around the time that Lauryn Hill’s “Doo Wap That Thing” came out. Now every-time I make french toast I think of that song and whenever I hear that song, I think of french toast.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoy eating it and reminiscing about my youth.
*serving : 5 slices
6 tbsp Corn Starch
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 Bananas (mashed up)
1 pinch salt
4 tsp maple syrup (Agave works as well)
Hemp Milk (I find that coconut milk works great too; any nut milk really)
5 Sourdough bread slices
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn starch, cinnamon, vanilla essence, salt, maple syrup and hemp milk and whisk it all together.
2. Once mixed throughly, add in the mashed bananas and whisk some more until you reach a semi-thick custard consistency.
3. On a shallow plate, add some off the batter then add sourdough slice on top for 20-30 seconds on each side.
4. Heat up non-stick pan then add vegan butter and melt. Once the pan is fully hot, you can add in the sourdough bread that has been dipped in batter.
5. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
6. Epi Dats et! Serve with maple syrup, bananas and fresh berries.
What other recipes would you like? Drop your suggestions below!